Follow @Jakaya10 JAKAYA: Fight Club 1999

Friday, October 10, 2014

Fight Club 1999

I tend to think I have issues with my concentration, or I have made myself believe that. Either way there is a thin line and I don't know what exactly it is. All I know is, I really struggle to concentrate for minutes. That rather explains my lack of enthusiasm for tv, movies and series and everything people seem to be up to these days. Maybe that has something to do with my childhood. You see, growing up as a kid I never really enjoyed the pleasure of tv at home. Our tv was spoilt for the longest time possible and by the time it was fixed (I think I was in class 7), I had already moved passed that stage. I never really grew up with the joy of waking up glued to the TV like my best friends Sandra and Shantell (RIP). Those kids could watch TV all day everyday. Heck they even spoiled the remote so no one could disturb.

But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. So sometimes I get my lazy ass to the screen and watch a few stuff. I have watched Breaking Bad, struggling to finish Prison Break (do not judge), watching Hell on Wheels plus a couple of series that if I mentioned I'd have to hand in my man card.
When it comes to movies, I'm a sucker for the classics. One, because they have been watched by a wider audience and the reviews are more honest. Because for the life of me, I feel really cheated watching plotless movies. You know, those movies where the director flashes lots and lots of boobies but there is really no content in the script? Or movies that start well then veer off to some imaginary stupid science fiction? Or movies with hot actresses but no plot? Like that Kim Kardashian movie (no, not that one with Ray. An actual movie where Kim wasn't putting everything black into her mouth), I think it's a Tyler Perry movie. The movie was totally idiotic but it's totally manly to watch a movie because of Kim. *sigh. I am Jack's complete unquenched thirst.

I also like classic movies because they are just the thing. Think, The Godfather, No Country for Old Men, Good Fellows, The Prestige and ULTIMATELY "FIGHT CLUB". Some of these movies are not that old but you get my drift. I am an old soul. I am not moved by trends. I am Jack's total lack of enthusiasm for trends and trendsetters.

Now Fight Club. The first time I watched this movie, we were having cookies. Good cookies, 'bad' cookies and I think I must have accidentally eaten a 'bad' cookie. Boy! I laughed. I laughed till my buddies stopped and started laughing at me laughing, then stopped to ask why I was laughing. Bad cookies. I couldn't finish watching the movie. Tyler (Bradd Pitt) was too much of a jackass in the movie. If I watched any more, I'd have probably passed out. So naturally, later on I searched for the movie online. It's a 1999 movie. I think it took me a year or so to finally find it. Plus those movie vendors only have stuff for the cool kids. The latest movies. Souls like me have no place in the movie chain. I've rewatched Fight Club twice ever since. I NEVER rewatch movies. I plan to rewatch it more often. I know. Do not judge.

Fight Club joins the desiderata and Serenity Prayer on the list of things I draw inspiration from. The movie is about the vanity of worldly possession, more or less. About how we have lost the sense of existence as persons, instead trapped into society and all its glamour. How we crave to make money we don't have to buy stuff we don't need. How useless we have become as humans. Bradd Pitt plays Tyler Durden, the narrator's other personality. He is an ass. A good ass, bad ass kinda person. He isn't thrilled by the little comforts in life like wearing designer boxers or owning condos or living expensive. He lives in some shit hole. Actually he notes that the things we own end up owning us. He says how society has brainwashed us to thinking we'll all end up as rock stars and celebrities and billionaires. And when we finally realize that ain't gonna happen, we are mad at the society and that is all it is. Failed dreams and bitter individuals. Look around. Everyone is mad.

I am not a fan of fights. I am but a simple man. But I watched Fight Club and admired a good fight. Not a fight out of malice, or revenge or any ill intentions. Just a good fight to release all that build up testosterone because, life in itself is a female dog. We hop from day to day dealing with people we don't like, jobs we don't like, days we don't like, situations we don't like and at the end of it all, we are worn out. Having a good fight/beating at the end of it all just seems like a good way to let it all off :-). I think we need a Fight Club around. Underground boxing clubs. I'm not a proponent of Project Mayhem but I'm no fan of corporates either. I am Jack's obsession with this movie.

Watch Fight Club. Twice at least. Put in all your concentration and trust me, you will learn more about life than you have learnt anywhere else.

(Btw this is a personal blog, if you are reading it, it's probably because I gave you the link. Now remember the rules.

1. You do not talk about Jakaya's blog.
2. You do not talk about Jakaya's blog.